The first step to apply to Escola Americana do Rio de Janeiro is to fill out the application form here.
All complete applications are reviewed by the Admissions Committee, composed by the Head of School, Division Principal, Assistant Principal, Special Student Service Director (if applicable), Counselor, Director of Advancement and Admissions Coordinator.
- For an application to be considered, all documents, interviews and assessments must be validated by the Admissions Committee.
- Please be mindful that your child’s application will be subject to seat availability up until the Admissions Committee review. We can not assure seat availability for applications that have not been finalized. If by the time the application is validated there is no seat availability, the application will be moved to the respective waiting pool and you will be informed accordingly.
After submitting your application, you will receive an email from the admissions office that will guide your next steps, detailed below:
- Preliminary document release to the Admissions Office via email (email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Birth Certificate
- Child’s JPEG photo
- Recommendation Form to be filled in by the current school and returned to EARJ directly
- Preschool Recommendation Form: Nursery (3 yrs old) to Pre-Kindergarten (4 yrs old)
- Lower School Recommendation Form: Kindergarten to 5th grade
- Upper School Recommendation Form: 6th – 12th grade
- Applying to:
- Kindergarten – 12th grade: school report cards from the last three years (when applicable)
- 11th – 12th grades: school report cards from the last three years and IB curriculum from current school (if applicable)
- Interview & School Tour appointment with EARJ Admissions Team to be scheduled by the Admissions Office;
- Assessments*: EARJ uses the Measure of Academic Progress – MAP – for mathematics and reading assessments, and the World-Class Instructional Design and Assessment – WIDA – for English language assessments.
Grades BR & non-native English speakers English native speakers Nursery & PK Class Visit Class Visit K & 1st grade Assessment with Learning Specialist Assessment with Learning Specialist 2nd – 4th grade WIDA: English test N/A MAP: Math test MAP: Math test 5th – 8th grade WIDA: English test N/A MAP: Math test MAP: Math test 9th – 12th grade WIDA: English test N/A Math Entrance Exam Math Entrance Exam
- Once documents have been submitted and assessments made, the applicant’s file will be reviewed by the EARJ Admissions Committee.
- After Admissions Committee review, the Admissions Office will contact you with final response and next steps.
*Additional information from previous school or an interview with Principal or Counselor may be required during this process.